Best Underlay for Wood Flooring

30 Mar 2007
Reaction score
United Kingdom
I'm soon to lay 15mm thick engineered flooring in my living area.
The existing floor is 18mm thick chipboard and I'm just going to lay the flooring on top (floating floor, glued at tongue and groove joints). There was carpet down previously.

I'm a bit bemused by the ranges of underlay available. Seem to range from £15 to £65 a roll.
I'm assuming that a DPM will not be required as there's not been a DPM before, but I would like a bit of sound reduction.
Given that the existing chip floor will be fairly flat will a simple 3mm thick foam type underlay be sufficient?
Any pointers?

My flooring will be coming from Carpenters of York.
Sponsored Links
And Carpenters of York hasn't advised you on what type of underlayment to use? Strange.

Chipboard, plywood, other sheet materials and existing floorboards as underfloor: NEVER use a underlayment that contains a DPM.

3mm foam (not the Laminate suitable one) will suffice.

Price of underlayment depends on: sound-insulation needed (thicker, thinner, first floor, apartments etc), special underlayment (for UFH like the Heathflow), DPM or not needed, self-adhesive underlayment (like Elastiolon), underlayment to use with parquet adhesive (like the Sika mat).
I hadn't asked them about underlay to be honest.
I'd usually rather suss out what I need myself rather than relying on info from salesmen. Not saying that C of Y are anything but honest, it's just that I always try and get impartial advice.

So this should do the trick?...

Or is there anything that will give a wee bit better soundproofing, but without the vapour barrier?
Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local