Bouncy LVT

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We had LVT laid last June which is already having problems. It's bouncy, uneven and makes cracking noises all over. In one room the latex under the floor was all cracked. The builder recently lifted some of the kitchen floor tiles to check, but that latex wasn't cracked. Could the problem be that they laid the cabinets on top of the tiles? The LVT has an attached underlay so they couldn't glue it down. The fitting instructions said not to lay cabinets on top but they said that's how it should be done.

Sponsored Links
Surely you shouldn’t lay anything on top of a floating floor otherwise it won’t 'float'?

Sponsored Links
Kitchen unit don’t sit on top.
Thanks. I got the instruction sheet from Howdens and it does say not to put the units on top. Before they laid it I asked the builders and they said they had to lay the floor tiles all the way across, i.e. under the units. Didn't seem right to me but that's what they've done. They also said the latex won't be exactly level, which seems like it could also be a problem?

Thanks. I got the instruction sheet from Howdens and it does say not to put the units on top. Before they laid it I asked the builders and they said they had to lay the floor tiles all the way across, i.e. under the units. Didn't seem right to me but that's what they've done. They also said the latex won't be exactly level, which seems like it could also be a problem?
I guess you have paid in full?

LVT click need’s a complete flat floor and expansion all around.
Thanks for replying. The builders laid a latex levelling screed first, then put the LVT on that. But when we walk on the floor it feels like there's hollows or dips underneath. They said the latex screed is never completely flat and those dips are to be expected but aren't causing the problem. Does that sound right? I'd have thought the levelling screed is supposed to give the LVT a flat surface so there's not this uneven feel to it?

Floating LVT shouldn’t move much and shouldn’t creak etc, however, it needs lots of expansion gap around the edge and you can’t put much weight on it.

It’s sold as the answer to minimise prep and speed installation over glue down but in reality, it needs the same prep as a glue down floor and will still likely move, creak, joints break etc. the stuff is a bit of a nightmare. Many manufacturers will specify you can’t put appliances on it etc you certainly can’t a kitchen on it, it should be laid after the kitchen is installed.

If you have direct sunlight on it or/and under floor heating, chances are very high joints will fail etc.

It’s not great stuff.

Floating LVT shouldn’t move much and shouldn’t creak etc, however, it needs lots of expansion gap around the edge and you can’t put much weight on it.

It’s sold as the answer to minimise prep and speed installation over glue down but in reality, it needs the same prep as a glue down floor and will still likely move, creak, joints break etc. the stuff is a bit of a nightmare. Many manufacturers will specify you can’t put appliances on it etc you certainly can’t a kitchen on it, it should be laid after the kitchen is installed.

If you have direct sunlight on it or/and under floor heating, chances are very high joints will fail etc.

It’s not great stuff.

Yeah, flooring companies I've spoken to said they won't use fully-floating tiles. It's frustrating. The builders said we HAD TO have it wall to wall because to ensure it'd stay flat. Never mind us paying for floor we wouldn't see. Then they install the kitchen cabinets on it, which the instructions say specifically not to do (I only checked after the problems emerged).

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back