boundary line

The question was . The cheeky cow wants to rip the fence out down our driveway. She dont want a fence but we do. Its our fence and if she ever gets it out i know it will never go back in. Trouble is then that you have them bashing our car when they open thier car door. It became clear yesterday when he said without the fence they could easily get both cars on. Question is can you resolve it peacefully and where do you go next. My other point about the rear fence is just me saying how hard it is to please this woman. When i do the rear fence she dont want it putting back to the origonal line. However i will as its only been 5 years. its the issue with the front fence thats the problem. We are still talking but i wonder if its only because she wants to keep chipping away at us.

It’s all well and good to try and keep things friendly and informal, but if you think that they may actually remove the fence without permission, then you should take some more formal (pre-emptive) steps to stop this from happening.

Send them a letter by recorded delivery advising them that they have no permission to make any changes that extend over the boundary line without your express written permission. Remind them that you own the fence in question (provide a copy of evidence if you have it) and state that they have no right to remove/modify/update the fence without your express written permission. Should they wish to carry out any works their property that require the removal of the fence, then you would expect that on completion of the said works the fence would be restated in its current form.

Separately you should take some time-stamped photos of the fence and some measurements of its position relative to other fixed parts of your property so that if the worst happens and they do remove it then you have some up-to-date evidence to fall back on.

I know the above might all sound a bit serious, but it will offer you some sort of protection in the future so you don’t come back from holiday and find your fence gone and then the neighbours claiming that you’d verbally agreed to the work before you went away.

I wouldn't worry if they don't speak to you again...doesn't sound like you would be missing out on much.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back