Bow window - LOUD expansion noises!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Last September I had my front (flat window, aluminium..prob 20+ years old) replaced with a uPVC bow window, which is support by one gallows bracket. The gallows bracket and windowboard are hardwood.

Since the dry weather over the past 6-8 weeks there have been some very loud banging noises coming from the window, similar to wood expanding/contracting, but nevertheless loud enough to make me damn well jump every time it happens. Seems to happen quite a few times during the day.

Noticed one long crack under the window board from the inside about 2-3mm high. I can see daylight through it. They have used a clearmastic on the outside between the brickwork and underneath of window board and some regular caulk on the inside.

Question - is this normal? Should the window-board have been bedded on sand/cement mix on top of cavity wall?

Fitter has been back, says they will put right the crack but assures me there isn't a problem. Unfortunately I wasn't there to throw 20 questions at him.

Any thoughts? Advice?

Sponsored Links
Sounds like thats all it is, expansion and contraction...............is it woodgrain pvc, if so being darker than white it absorbs more heat than a white window and thus moves more, it'll be steel reinforced to counter this but will still creak.

As for the windowboard then personally i've never bedded on a cement bed, always direct onto the brick but i always sqidged it onto a thick bead of silicone first if just to fix it down, let them fix it with whatever means they deem and then keep an eye on it, being relatively new its possible that its just settling onto the gallows bracket and the creak may dissapear?

Thanks crank, that gives some comfort.

It isn't woodgrain pvc, but the window that's creakin' and moanin' is in full sun all day. Ungrateful or what.

I just didn't expect to see broad daylight through the crack. Seems to make the whole process of getting the highest A rated windows a pointless exercise, if only for the wind to blow a hooley through a crack. ;)

Thx
Paula

Sponsored Links
Get them to sort the crack out and then keep a beady eye on it, tell em that you'll also keep listening for this creak and if it carries on or gets worse or even if the crack under the windowboard re-appears you'll be straight on to them.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back