Newly fitted UPVC double glazing windows causing noise issue

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've just had new UPVC windows fitted this week, the problem is compared to my previous aluminium cased double glazed windows these seem to be causing more noise coming into the house?

The previous windows were about 15 - 20 years old and had huge condensation issues but this appears to have been resolved (so far) with the new windows being installed however the noise is something unexpected. I was told the new windows were A rated, argon gas filled. The windows are really nice but i'm a little worried about the amount of noise coming through?

Any help would be most appreciated, thanks.

Saj

Sponsored Links
sounds like the openers are not sealing correctly, and / or the windows are not correctly sealed around the edges. if so the company should be called back.

you could also try closing the trickle vents if fitted and see if this helps.
noise = passage of air = coldness coming in this winter = £££ on gas

Could be a fitting issue. Outside, how does it look around the edges, where the silicone is?

Hi Guys

Basically i had double glazing Aluminum windows from 1988 in this house i bought 2 years ago. The windows were very old, the seals were broken condensation was a major issue, every winter i would have a pool of water on my window sills every day of winter.

The new windows are great its been less the 5 degrees where i live near edinburgh already for a few days, the condensation is very little, I can cope with this. The sound issue through the windows is horrible.

I am not sure if the old windows had thicker or toughened glass, maybe they did, it was 1988 when they were fitted. Also the window surveyer noted that the old windows never sat within the cavity, in fact they sat slightly outside the cavity of the wall.

I watched the joiners fit the windows, they had to put timber into the cavity to build the frame up, bolted the windows onto the timber and used explanding foam all the way round to give the windows a tight seal.

I will be going to maplins today to buy a sound meter device. I have spoken to Pilkington the glass manufacture. They told me the that my double glazing glass which is two 4mm panes with a 28mm spacer filled with argon gas should give me a 31 decibel reduction of noise.

I will keep you guys posted. if you have anymore advice please let me know.

Kind regards Saj

Sponsored Links
the fitting around the frame to the wall sounds ok.
have you checked around the openers? try pinching a bit of paper in the seal. there should be resistance to pulling it out when the opener is closed.

Ok just put an A sheet of paper half way through the window so that 1 half was inside and the otherside was inside and pulled the paper, it solid cant pinch it at all

I will be going to maplins today to buy a sound meter device. I have spoken to Pilkington the glass manufacture. They told me the that my double glazing glass which is two 4mm panes with a 28mm spacer filled with argon gas should give me a 31 decibel reduction of noise.
What a waste of time, the glazed units may give that reduction, your crude test will also test the vents, seals, frames, wall and junction between the frame and the wall. :confused:

Ok just put an A sheet of paper half way through the window so that 1 half was inside and the otherside was inside and pulled the paper, it solid cant pinch it at all

make sure you are only testing one seal at a time by just putting the edge of the paper in. do it all round the seal on every opener.

Just incase you haven't mentioned it, you didnt have the old windows together with secondry glazing , did you?

Ok i will go round the windows and put the sheet of paper just at the seal and see if the paper can be pinched out. I will do this tonight.

Also I did not have secondary glazing in this house.

I did not manage to get the sound meter recorder, so that test wont be happening.

Will post back tonight

i have something similar - stick your ear up near until you clearly hear the extra sound then push the window against the frame - if it seals it you will hear a difference

I think your units are 28mm overall and configured at 4-20-4. In high noise areas like close proximity to busy roads I give the customer an option to upgrade to 6-16-6 (again Pilks K energikare argon filled) as it really does (apparantly) cut a hell of a lot of the din out. As others have said, check all sealing points first before moving on to more drastic measures.

Sajjad posted his problem about newly fitted UPVC D/G windows causing a noise problem in October 2009. We had 4 windows replaced in Nov 2010 and I feel that the noise is more pronounced than with the old UPVC D/G windows and just wondered if and how the problem was solved.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back