Bowser Rust and zinc

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have just bought his old bowser. The bin is covered in rust and has some big holes. It has also been used for burning old waste, so a mess.

The frame is in better condition with nice weathered paintwork but again some rust.

Can you help with -

What can I use to get rid of the rust on the frame without damaging the paintwork.

I am thinking of using Galvafroid on the bin, Has anyone any experience of this or better suggestions. I want it to look like the original if possible.

How can I patch the holes to match the galvised finish of the bin.

Any advice or suggestions would be appreciated, however small, as this is a big project for me and I have no experience of working on metal . Thanks

Attachments

• WP_20160813_005.jpg
    WP_20160813_005.jpg
    70.7 KB · Views: 102
Sponsored Links
For the main frame, I can't see how you can shift the rust without damaging the paintwork - maybe it would be an idea to remove all of the old paint and starting from fresh? Consider using a wire mop / sanding disc with an angle grinder.
As for the bowser, its quite possible to weld new metal in where the holes are, but galvanised metal is very dangerous fume wise as vaporised zinc is toxic.....great care needed here.
Cold galvanising spray is probably as good as it gets, protection wise but it doesn't like heat.
John :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back