Box shelving alcove

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hello - i have a chimney alcove that is filled with shelving. i have a problem with condensation forming behind the books down one side- the wall is cold to the touch, so I'm assuming lining the alcove with celotex would be a way forward (in addition to increasing ventilation to the area). it's the joining wall of a semi-detached.

i'm going to replace the existing shelving with some sort of tortion box construction that I'll knock up, but want advice on how to fit in the celotex.

The plaster on the wall is in good condition - can i get away with putting battens up, celotex in between, and then 6mm MDF board over the top? how do i then screw the fixings for my box shelves? do I need to screw all the way through the board and the celotex into the wall? Or can i screw into the battens?

what size batten, for that matter?!

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back