34mm battens strong enough for shelves?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all

I will make some new shelves to alcove in my small shed for tools storage etc. What I have are MDF 400mm wide for shelves and 34x18mm battens for support.

The length of shelves will be around 2 metres but after reading some shelves tutorials, they inist on using 45x18mm or 50x25mm batten so I'm not sure about using 34x18mm but it seemed to be strong enough, isn't it?! :?:

Sponsored Links
Ok, I will have to fit front batten then put on a vertical support or two for better support.

Won't that be a problem?

Thanks for the fast reply and a very handy online calculator! :D

EDIT: I think the calculator is for between two supports - which isn't exactly same as a full batten alcove?

Sponsored Links
Well, I checked the straightness of battens, they're bit bent out of shape! Think I should get thicker battens, hence less bent!

Well, I checked the straightness of battens, they're bit bent out of shape! Think I should get thicker battens, hence less bent!

Wickes by any chance? Anyway, new batten will cost pennies.
A set of 8 x 2.1m 34mm battens costs me under £7 from B&Q! Not a big deal!

Think I will pop down the local the first thing tomorrow morning. B&Q is around 40 mins drive away so can't be bothered!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back