Boxing in a boiler

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Need some advice as the best way to box in the new boiler we've just had fitted. It's in the study so it really is an eyesore. The boiler in question has been fitted approx 2ft from the ceiling and so the pipework runs down the length of the wall. I was thinking maybe make a frame around the boiler and then fixing 10mm MDF to this frame with a couple of hinges at the front for access. Is this feasible? Is there any other way?

Sponsored Links
Dulux, I would have thought it might look better if maybe you made it look as though the cupboard was a piece of furniture, rather than something made to box something in. So, you might want to make a double-doored cupboard, made with thicker mdf. In my last house, I had a wooden gothic cupboard built to house a boiler. There was a divider in the middle to keep the boiler separate and we kept clothes in the other half. We also had an mdf, double-doored cupboard downstairs built around the washing machine. That had shelves above it so it looked a bit like a dresser. Didn't make either of them myself - I'm no good at woodwork :( .

Nick,
I hear what you're saying about looking like a piece of furniture but like you i'm not brilliant with wood so the simpler the better.

my suggestion was going to be almost exactly what nick said :D ;)

if you can box in you can make it look like a dresser with a cupboard top

take your boxing in box on the wall with opening doors about 3ft wide boiler in one side
make one to fit on the floor with a plinth underneath and the back 3 inches forward to accomodate the pipes with the top 25mm overhang front and sides
then make a book shelves with a false back
fit the bookshelve between the cupboards with all the sides lined up :D ;)

Sponsored Links
Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back