Boxing...

I

imamartian

... firstly which class are you in?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Weight_class_(boxing)

i'm in the heavyweight, but at 6'1".. don't fancy my chances against either Klitschko brother..

but anyway, why is boxing losing it's appeal? Bruno, McGuigan, Eubank etc were celebs... these days... we have Khan, but it seems to have gone off the boil...

UFC took it's place for a while, but even that seems to be fading...

Is it just down to tv deals and availability, or are people bored with gladitorial combat sports?

Sponsored Links
It's violent thugism dressed in acceptability. It should be banned.

But,, the audience tend to wear dinner jackets, cummerbunds and dickie bows. Can't get much more refined than that Joe. ;) ;) ;)

It's violent thugism dressed in acceptability. It should be banned.

thanks for that Joe... i assume you'd be a heavyweight? (wikipedie doesn't mention super heavies in it's table)

two consenting adult challenging themselves physically? maybe you should define the word thugism and see if it fits? or whether athleticism, strength, resolve, passion could be used instead?

Sponsored Links
Violence has no place in modern society. When it happens outside of a club it's called a disgrace. When it's boxing it's called sport.

Violence has no place in modern society. When it happens outside of a club it's called a disgrace. When it's boxing it's called sport.
The term 'Violence' can be subjective. What one person sees as a violent sport another sees as a contact sport. The Olympics is one of the oldest 'sporting' events. As well as Boxing, athletes compete against each other in Martial Arts in the Olympics. What you gonna do about Martial Arts? What about Rugby? It has resulted in some terrible injuries, even death. Shall we put a stop to Rugby?

Where in rugby does one man stand and inflict injury on another? Where is the aim of the game to incapacitate your opponent by rendering them unconscious? At least in the Olympic version there is protective head gear and fewer rounds.

Where in rugby does one man stand and inflict injury on another? Where is the aim of the game to incapacitate your opponent by rendering them unconscious? At least in the Olympic version there is protective head gear and fewer rounds.
Seems you've never played in the pack then Joe.

And even in boxing, the ref will/should intervene when the contest is effectively over

How does he stop the punch that rotates the brain and causes brain damage?

How does he stop the punch that rotates the brain and causes brain damage?
Well obviously, he doesn't. Is that what happened to you?

The agreement to step into the ring is the decider on the above.

I was on our local golf course last year when a young lad came walking up. His lips cut and teeth hanging out, a right bloody mess. Yep he'd been hit by a golf ball, struck by another player about 60yds away. Should we therefore ban golf? Nah.
Footballers too suffer some horrific injuries, as do hockey players (regularly) (both supposed non contact sports, but what the hey) F1, GP, Motocross, etc participants all suffer injuries too (sometimes fatal) Should we ban these as well? Perhaps sometime in the future (when the do-gooders of society have their way) the only sport that will remain is Chess, Scrabble and Origami. ;)

You have to realise that participants in all sports, accept the risk of injury, minor, major or even fatal.

I was on our local golf course last year when a young lad came walking up. His lips cut and teeth hanging out, a right bloody mess. Yep he'd been hit by a golf ball, struck by another player about 60yds away. Should we therefore ban golf? Nah.
Footballers too suffer some horrific injuries, as do hockey players (regularly) (both supposed non contact sports, but what the hey) F1, GP, Motocross, etc participants all suffer injuries too (sometimes fatal) Should we ban these as well? Perhaps sometime in the future (when the do-gooders of society have their way) the only sport that will remain is Chess, Scrabble and Origami. ;)

You have to realise that participants in all sports, accept the risk of injury, minor, major or even fatal.

In how many of those activities is it the sole intention to use violence to the point of rendering someone unconscious? :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Try it another way, fighting and "besting" is as old as the "oldest profession", way before any motorsport and other activities.
Why should a few now say after centuries of such activities it is wrong?

Each choose to participate, train and accept the risks as well as the rewards.

Sponsored Links
Back