BR specific to warm roof designs?

Sponsored Links
^woody^ said:
Doesn't all PIR come with one already glued on it? :rolleyes: here we go again :rolleyes:

I'm waiting for one of you kind chaps to either confirm or deny.
See previous comments -
I had always assumed the foil face once taped was acceptable.

In a warm roof it isnt possible to tape the underside, hence on a flat roof a vcl maybe put down first.

I tend to think taping the top face is ok, as long as all gaps are foamed, then that should still work as a vapour barrier. QUOTE
- No, vapour barrier has to be on the warm side of the insulation.

Sponsored Links
We took the view that products like Visqueen at 50p/m^2 and so easy to fit, one might as well put it in as argue about it.

That said, a VCL should only be needed if the prior surface is not airtight? So if you plaster your ceiling for instance?

Every material has a certain vapour permeability and thermal resistance.
Basically if you want to get scientific about it you can calculate based on the predicted internal temperature and humidity and the outside temperature, whether you're likely to get interstitial condensation anywhere in the buildup.
Generally if you go from less permeable to more as you go out, you'll be ok.
Plaster I've no idea how resistant it is, depends if it's on foil backed boards and whether there are sockets in it, but yes it does have a reasonable vapour residence.
The gold standard is a plastic sheet, although an allowance is made for penetrations and leakage it will deal with most situations.
Hope that is clear (!):LOL:
Ps don't confuse airtightness with vapour permeability

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back