Braided flexible water hose burst! How to replace?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
A pipe in our house just burst! Remembering my training, I ran downstairs and turned off the main stop cock under the sink. We were lucky that it was caught so quickly or it could have done a lot of damage. The linoleum has been pulled up and the area is being dried (it didn't spread very far - water was off in less than two minutes; remember your monthly burst pipe drills!).

My question is, would this hose be an easy DIY fix? The damaged hose is the middle one in the picture, covered in some kind of braided armour. It's the hot-water. It had recently supplied hot water to the bath and burst maybe 20-30 minutes later (it could have been trickling sooner than that but it made a lot of noise when it burst). In the second picture you can see that the reinforcement appears to have rusted and then maybe just burst open under the pressure? Is that a thing that happens? Otherwise I can only think of a rat being the cause. Or maybe it was damaged around the time it was installed?

The top part of the damaged hose looks like it screws on. I can do that! But what about the bottom part? How does that attach to the copper pipe?

It's troubling to think of the amount of damage this could have caused if it wasn't caught so quickly. After confirming that the leak was in-fact the previously discussed hose I turned off the water inlet on the boiler and turned the water to the house back on.

I just read that flexible braided water hoses corrode and burst quite a bit! Apparently they should be checked every two years. Ours was in service 13-14 years before failing.

gU7Gc8j.jpg

TTGHA74.jpg

Sponsored Links
Dead simple to replace. Only problem might be the plastic push fit end might be full of gunk which could make the grey plastic release ring hard to push back. To release the bottom part of the fitting push the grey plastic ring back towards the white bit. Hold it there and the pipe should just pull off. You will need a spanner for the tap end. It's a quickfit tap connector. take those pictures to your local DIY place or somewhere like Screwfix OR your local friendly plumbers merchants and they would be able to sort you out. when you replace the push fit end it might seem a bit loose but water pressure seals it. Have someone standing by the stop cock just in case.

Looking at those pictures that might be a 22mm pipe but it is hard to tell. The other size would 15mm.

No rodents involved just age. The rubber hose inside the silver braid failed first and swells then the pressure pushed through the braid. If you are lucky sometimes you see swelling before bursting. Check your house for others.

Sponsored Links
TBH I don`t use the combination ones. Find the isolation valves to be poor and if the hose fails then you need to replace the whole thing anyway.
Fit lever valves and seperate hoses if you must use a flexi but yes change both if not all in the house.

TBH I don`t use the combination ones. Find the isolation valves to be poor and if the hose fails then you need to replace the whole thing anyway.
Worth knowing, I have never used, BUT noted for future

Flexis are awful - they're an unnecessary weak point in a plumbing installation, and are used only because they save time at the initial installation. I regard them as a slapdash bodge job.

In the situation you have there, you don't need them - I would change it all to copper or plastic.

I just read that flexible braided water hoses corrode and burst quite a bit! Apparently they should be checked every two years.
From the photo it looks as if the hose might have been twisted, though it seems to have lasted OK. Make sure the new one isn't! After you've tightened the top end it should be possible to rotate the bottom end with the push-in fitting to eliminate any twist.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back