Brain damage to sportsmen

Reaction score
Country
Cook Islands
We knew for a long time that boxers get it. We more recently learned that soccer players get it from heading the ball. There has now been detected an abnormally high proportion of rugby players.

"At the last count, in 2014, there were 1,339 people in the UK between the ages of 30 and 44 who had been diagnosed with dementia – or 0.01% of the 13 million in that age group, or one in every 9,500. The startling news that 11 former professional rugby players from that demographic have been diagnosed with the condition presents rugby with a reality it has dared not face until now.

Even if the 11 (eight of whom are joining a new legal action) turn out to be the only ones, which is next to inconceivable given we know of another 90 with likely symptoms – and this before those players had gone public, this before some have even reached middle age – they represent nearly 1% of the roughly 1,500 players from that age group who played professionally in England and Wales in the 15 years after rugby union went open. Assuming the incidence rate derived from the 2014 Dementia UK report has remained constant, the chances of that same wider population of 13m returning 10 or more cases from a sample of 1,500 are a shade under one in 10 trillion. For 11 or more, the chances are so small that a regular spreadsheet cannot cope and defaults to a probability of zero."

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2...ia-presents-sport-with-reality-dared-not-face

Sponsored Links
It's hardly surprising rugby players could be suffering because of their profession. Even though they don't tend to head the ball they do get their necks and shoulders jarred when going in to a scrum. This has the effect of shaking the brain which can lead to traumatic internal injury in severe cases.
I expect to see/hear of many more cases where sports contain a lot of physical/violent contact, either with a person or an object.

It's hardly surprising rugby players could be suffering because of their profession. Even though they don't tend to head the ball they do get their necks and shoulders jarred when going in to a scrum. This has the effect of shaking the brain which can lead to traumatic internal injury in severe cases.
I expect to see/hear of many more cases where sports contain a lot of physical/violent contact, either with a person or an object.
Osteo-arthritis from my rugby days ( and other players I know ) is a much bigger problem than brain damage. Although I think I must have already had it to continue playing after the injuries I used to receive.

If I had a 40 year old friend or relation with a bad knee, I'd say "poor fellow has got a bad knee" and think nothing of it.

If he had early onset dementia that would be a thousand times worse.

Sponsored Links
Volenti non fit injuria (rough meaning: those who consent to the risk of injury cannot claim for the injury they consented to) will be a huge challenge for them to overcome legally. Its a contact sport, the risk of injury is very well understood and has been for a long time.

If I had a 40 year old friend or relation with a bad knee, I'd say "poor fellow has got a bad knee" and think nothing of it.

If he had early onset dementia that would be a thousand times worse.
Sorry I should have been clearer & said a larger & more common problem, not the severity of the problem.

Volenti non fit injuria (rough meaning: those who consent to the risk of injury cannot claim for the injury they consented to) will be a huge challenge for them to overcome legally. Its a contact sport, the risk of injury is very well understood and has been for a long time.

If I heard the interview correctly, the purpose of the action is to have the governing body change the game somewhat, to reduce the risk of injury.
But, ISTBC.

boris-johnson-japan-rugby-boy.jpg

Sponsored Links
Back