Brake shoes

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Apologies for my ignorance, but I've just had my car serviced and they advised new brake shoes need fitting. had it done but this has not improved my breaking? Is this ok? Will braking only improve if the pads are changed???

Sponsored Links
Its actually likely to have the opposite effect, the old worn shoes were the shape as the drums, the new ones won't be until you have done a few miles. With pad changes the brakes are sometimes very poor until they have bedded in.

Peter

As above. There was not nothing wrong with the performance of your old shoes, they stoped the car just fine. However im sure they would have been advised on the service because the amount of life left on them was getting very low.

Hope this helps

Sponsored Links
Only when they are worn out - unless you have pots of money.

Peter

Is the braking performance actually poor? Presumably the shoes are on the rear wheels or are they on the front wheels as well?

On pretty much any car, the rear brakes contribute surprisingly little to the overall stopping ability, so if the braking performance is satisfactory and legal (passed it's MOT), I wouldn't expect to see a noticeable improvement.

Back