Brand new bosch boiler pressure kept dropping...

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I am new to this DIYNOT, I recently moved and the old combi boiler broke down before Christmas. and then we have had a new bosch greenstar 25si boiler installed on29 dec. Since then I noticed that the boiler pressure keep dropping. At the begining I found 2 rads leaking , and got them fixed. and then top up the pressure back to 1.5bar.

Then it still kept dropping 0.2bar per day! And I checked all the rads many times and didn find any other leaking. I called the guy who is gas safe registed fitter and he claimed that there is nothing wrong with my new boiler. and suggested that my CH system and rads , pipes were too old...and told me that it s very common to repressurise the boiler every 2-3weeks...

As I didn see any sign of the water, and cant afford to rippoff the wooden floorbroad to see if there any leaking pipe underneath, I really dont know what to do. we topped up the pressure to 2bar last sunday, now we are hanging on the 0.5 already. is it true that it d damage the boiler if we constanly refill the water?

And other thing is, we share our main water supply with two neighbours. and my husband insis that the water/boiler pressure will not stay at one point because of it? I though its rubbish but dont wanna argue...

anyone can give me any idea what is going on with my boiler pressure please? Thanks alot!!

Sponsored Links
your husband is talking rubbish.
After the new boiler was installed have you had to bleed any radiators? If so, this will cause the pressure to drop.
Otherwise you have a leak somewhere-probably a slight one- but enough to drop the pressure as you describe.

your husband is talking rubbish.
After the new boiler was installed have you had to bleed any radiators? If so, this will cause the pressure to drop.
Otherwise you have a leak somewhere-probably a slight one- but enough to drop the pressure as you describe.

Hi , Thanks for your reply.

yes we had all the rads bled and actually one of the bleed valve thing was broken by the guy and cause the leakage at the first place...

how do we know if there is any leakage from the pipes? is that lift the floorborad to check the only option?

If you're sure you've checked all the other pipework that you CAN see then I'm afraid so,yes.

Sponsored Links
You have sealed system so once all the rads are bled and the bboiler is up and running there shud be nnot be drop of pressure like you describe,there are minute leaks on rad valves or the pipework under the floor has leaks
It is not a good idea to top up a boiler every few weeks,the water that runs through your main heat exchanger should be treatred with inhibitor,constantly changeing it is not doing the whole system includeing the boiler alot of good every time you top up you are introduceing oxygen into the sytem

The leaks will have to be found and fixed unfortunately thats the only answer

You have sealed system so once all the rads are bled and the bboiler is up and running there shud be nnot be drop of pressure like you describe,there are minute leaks on rad valves or the pipework under the floor has leaks
It is not a good idea to top up a boiler every few weeks,the water that runs through your main heat exchanger should be treatred with inhibitor,constantly changeing it is not doing the whole system includeing the boiler alot of good every time you top up you are introduceing oxygen into the sytem

The leaks will have to be found and fixed unfortunately thats the only answer

Thanks . And last night we had to top up to 1.5 again... how much will it cost to get a plumber in to check any leakage on the pipework underneath ? and sorry for the stupid question, will they put the floorborad back or I have to buy the new floorboard after fixing the pipework?

another thing is , is this definitely a problem either with the rads or the pipworks? nothing wrong with the boiler itself?although it is a brand new one...

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back