Brass/copper front doorstep threshold - how to clean

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello. Any ideas on how I can clean the metal threshold on our front doorstep? I think it's original 1930s and is very badly tarnished - dirty green marks. I've tried sanding and metal and copper cleaners but nothing touches it. I'm at the stage of thinking I'll just have to paint over it with black metal paint but it seems a shame. It doesn't remove as it's custom fitted.

Sponsored Links
for the initial clean, you can use a green nylon pan-scourer and a liquid metal polish. An old, worn one is less abrasive than a new stiff one.

Once it is pretty clean regular Brasso (formerly Duraglit) wadding will keep it very bright.

Your housemaid will need to clean it at least weekly.

Solvol Autosol and copies thereof are also good.

Thank you very much for the advice. My OH did exactly this and it eventually came back to the copper finish. He used a combination of Brasso and Cif. Obviously I didn't have sufficient elbow grease! We'll now keep on top of it to keep it clean and shiny.

You can polish up and then spray with lacquer which preserves the finish for a longer period without further polishing.

Sponsored Links
That's so helpful. I didn't realise there was anything that would protect it other than varnish. I'll get some.

the lacquer has to be stripped off for repolishing once it starts to fail.

the lacquer has to be stripped off for repolishing once it starts to fail.
Lacquer does and i'd avoid that as corrosion will creep underneath. The Renaissance wax i've linked to will come off if the threshold was repolished and then the wax would need reapplying.

Its good stuff. In a previous life i used to use it to protect steel sword blades from rusting in the rain and brass accoutrements from tarnishing when they were in contact with wet leather. It makes a dramatic difference.

Copper tends to be reddish, and tarnishes to green.
Brass is yellower and is slower to tarnish
I'd expect it to be brass.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back