Brass screws.

P

paulbrown

Been having a problem with small polished brass screws(1/2" and 3/4" 4's)

I am screwing into solid ash and the screws snap very easily, despite my drilling pilot holes.

I bought some catches this week a noticed they came with small brass screws which were phillips head, parallel and threaded the full length, they resemble self tappers.

They are so much better as it is the taper which is causing the snapping on the traditional screws.

Anyone any idea where you get such screws from? my local timber merchants have never heard of them.

Sponsored Links
No but another helpful idea - after drilling the pilot holes, drive in a steel screw of the same size as your brass one will be, then wind it out and drive in the brass screw. That will cut the tapered thread so the brass screw has an easy job going in. You might grease them a trifle though that is not usually needed on a small screw.

Thanks JohnD

At the moment I'm screwing plasterboard screws in first with a drill driver but its taking ages. Tried some washing up liquid on the thread and the customer said he could see it through the varnish :rolleyes:

The screws I mentioned were really cheap Chinese rubbish, but they were sooo much easier though. ;)

Are you sure those Chinese brass PZD screw aren't brass-plated screws? Only way I know to do this is to pilot, drive a steel first then drive the brass screw. Labour-intensive.....

Scrit

Sponsored Links
I've bought philips head solid brass from B&Q warehouse in the past but still drill a pilot. Candle wax or bar soap are better than washing up liquid or tallow if you can find it.

Jason

or use vasaline... and run a magnet over them, in the past ive bought "brass screws" and they all went rusty!

Thank you for your replies.

Scrit said:
Are you sure those Chinese brass PZD screw aren't brass-plated screws? Only way I know to do this is to pilot, drive a steel first then drive the brass screw. Labour-intensive.....

Scrit

Cut one in half today out of curiosity and it was solid brass. Really cheap rubbish but work a treat :LOL:

I wouldn't be bothered really but i've got hundreds of them to do yet. :cry:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back