Brass stop cock and MDPE pipe

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

I am relaying my water pipe to replace the old lead one and I'm also relocating the stop tap in the process.

I have laid my MDPE in a trench and fitted an INSUduct. The MDPE then comes into the house into a brass stop cock with the intention of fitting 22mm copper to the other side.

Now the problem is after I torqued up the compression fitting on the stop tap, the pipe won't pull out of the stop cock but it does spin. Will this cause a problem?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
It should be OK but there are two reviews on the Screwfix site - the first has exactly the same problem as you

Sponsored Links
OD of MDPE is not the same as copper - you need a valve designed to connect to MDPE OD is typically 20 or 25mm as against 18 and 22 for copper

Get an MDPE stop valve and an MDPE to Cu convertor coupling

That fitting is designed for MDPE.

However the OD is the OD regardless of material, I don't think you can get 25mm copper so a 25mm fitting is pretty much always for MDPE

It should be OK but there are two reviews on the Screwfix site - the first has exactly the same problem as you

I fitted one of those from Screwfix here about 8 months ago and it has been fine, the bad reviews were there at the time but I took a chance. Perhaps there was a bad batch.

I don't think so, I did the MDPE part first then restored the water before fitting the copper. If it was loose I'm sure I would have noticed.

It's not loose as such, it doesn't wobble in the fitting just if I grab it I can twist it

Have you made the pipe live? Does it actually leak? Some MDPE fittings can move once they're fully engaged but they have sealing rings that are rubber and plastic and can move without leaking.

Is it fully nipped up? Sounds like it might need that extra 1/4 turn. Is it a brass or copper olive?

It's not live yet no, severn Trent inspected and approved today so will be in the next two weeks. The fitting is brass the olive is copper

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back