breaching dampcourse

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My property is built on a slope which means that from the front of the property to the back there is a difference of approximately 20". At some time in the past a previous owner has backfilled against the wall with rubble and breached the dampcourse. I assume that the backfill has been an alternative to trying to maintain a level path around the property without the need to build a retaining wall to keep debris from falling in. Consequently, the air brick on this wall has been blocked and I am now facing the prospect of replacing all the floor joists in this area which have rotted. What I want to know is whether it would be possible to install a telescopic air vent to provide adequate underfloor ventilation and then after excavating back to apply a vertical dampcourse to prevent moisture entering the brickwork at this level and then to backfill again. Advice on this or any other suggestions would be appreciated.

Sponsored Links
I can't see your layout, a photo will help us.

The dpc need to be 150mm above ground level, I think the best way would be is to have a path area round the building then build a retaining wall similar to the picture below, you will then have air flow to air-brick and the dpc is not bridged
wall02.gif

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back