Breaket blowing after fitting new ring main

Yeah, some cable manufacturers seem to be producing very uneven cable.

Yep again, agree with this think logically stuff. But I don't think it helps to tell a guy he should have got out $1000 of test gear and measured things like crazy before daring to turn anything on. Helpful suggestions about how much you can do with a $10 multimeter seem more useful.

Is it something to do with the Americans that my current European language keyboard features a dollar sign but no other currency?

Sponsored Links
for my part I fully understand peoples concerns around safety etc, thats the main reason why I had a professional rewire the whole house when i bought it. I did also, however, have him leave me the loops for my kitchen ring main ready to extend the circuit when I was ready (up until now I only had 1 double socket in a tiny kitchen). I have broken into this loop and just added sockets to the main. I took the time to understand what was required (i.e. I wouldnt have known that the pattresses needed an earth to the socket) and I took my time to ensure that everything was connected properly. When the fuse blew I was a little surprised but it was 7pm on sunday and I gave up for the night. The fist thing I did the following morning was to disconnect my circuit and test that there was no continuity across neutral to earth, live to earth, neutral to live and they where fine. Reconnected the original ring and BANG! off it went. Applied the same test to these cables, after yanking the main fuse out and disconnecting them from the CU and hey presto faulty cable identified. It must have always been faulty but moving it about showed the problem up. I replaced the whole cable to be on the safe side.

what do you mean by european keyboard? afaict there is no such thing.

theres an american layout a british layout a french layout a german layout and various others (american keyboards are quite common on laptops sold here in the uk especially by cheaper providers).

It is a uk keyboard with uk characters embossed on it but the computer presently has polish language selected. This also uses something called the central European character set, I think. The upshot is that no key directly produces a pound sign though I have got a Ł. (if that comes out the same)[/list]

Sponsored Links
and you are using polish keyboard layout?

in that case you wouldn't expect a £ sign you would expect to get whatever currency symbol poland uses

btw the reason the euro symbol is such an awkward combination is because it appeared after the fact ;) but was too important to simply keep unenterable from the keyboard.

Nice 1 dunny, glad you got it sorted, the problem with some sparkies is they can't accept that some of what they do could be done equally well by a retarded chimpanzee. Now, apart from swelec, anyone fancy a slice of (humble) pie?

There are two standard polish layouts. One presumably with extra keys, but this one generates special characters using right alt and key. łćąńó whatever.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back