Breakfast Bar fixing to pasterboard wall. Advice please

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi you nice diy people out there,

I am about to fix a breakfast bar to my kitchen wall, and so far have cut out and inserted a 40 x 60mm noggin and covered with the plasterboard and filler so all looking nice.
My query is, should I use a heavy duty bracket at, say, 200mm intervals (900mm bar, 4 brackets in total).
Or are there better methods, i.e a continuous angle bar.

Also, if I go down the bracket road, one of the screwfix/toolstation fellas with multiple holes. slots etc, what type of screw would I use. Countersunk seems an unusual choice as I'll want it to tighten up to the under counter through the bracket onto the bar which is only 40mm thick.

I'm usually quite adept at diy, but this one has me flummoxed.
Obvoiusly, I'd be peppering the under counter bracket with numerous screw as they will only be 30 -35mm at most.

Any advice is most welcome.

Rocker

Sponsored Links
Hi Harbour,

It is laminated chipboard. I've already went out and bought inch and a quarter panheads for screwing up into the brackets. Hope this is enough to take a dunt now and again. Got 4 perforated type 60 x 40mm angle brackets and will screw 7 screws into each bracket so surely 28 screws holding it should be more than enough.
Inch and a half screws holding brackets onto wall.

Job happening tomorrow to hopefully it won't come a cropper.

Hi Harbour,

It is laminated chipboard. I've already went out and bought inch and a quarter panheads for screwing up into the brackets. Hope this is enough to take a dunt now and again. Got 4 perforated type 60 x 40mm angle brackets and will screw 7 screws into each bracket so surely 28 screws holding it should be more than enough.
Inch and a half screws holding brackets onto wall.

Job happening tomorrow to hopefully it won't come a cropper.

You will need something solid behind the brackets or they will pull into the plaster board.

Sponsored Links
I've covered that Harbour,

stuck a noggin (or dwang as we Scots call them) behind the plasterboard. You must've just skimmed my first post, it's in there.

I can't see anything I've left out, can you.

Was initially wanting to know if the way I was going was correct or if there were better ways of doing the job, neater ways even.

Got two shiny chrome legs for the other end, which I plan on screwing into floor.

Thanks

Rocker

The post screws to the under side , a screw in the floor centre of the leg base with a hole in the plastic foot will keep it from being kicked out of line. No need to screw to floor.

Hi Foxhole,

I was meaning a screw in the bottom of the post holding it to the floor, lol.

Jobs done now anyway, used panhead screws, inch & quarter to hold bracket to underside of bar, inch and a half panheads to wall.

Looks pretty good.

Thanks for the advice,

your a good bunch
Rocker.

Hi Foxhole,

I was meaning a screw in the bottom of the post holding it to the floor, lol.

Jobs done now anyway, used panhead screws, inch & quarter to hold bracket to underside of bar, inch and a half panheads to wall.

Looks pretty good.

Thanks for the advice,

your a good bunch
Rocker.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back