Fixing wooden breakfast bar onto half height partition wall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi. I'm after a steer on how to fix some wood block worktop onto the top of a stud wall partition so that it's strong enough to take a couple of meal places (or more likely elbows) as a breakfast bar. Worktop is 38mm thick and would be about 1700mm long and about 400mm wide, overlapping the wall by 250mm one side and 50mm the other. Will square brackets, screwed into the underside of the worktop and into each side of the top of the wall give a strong enough fix? And if so, what size brackets do people think I can get away with (I want them as hidden as possible). Wall is already built but only plasterboard on one side at this stage - plan being to tile once breakfast bar is in place.

Thanks in advance...

Sponsored Links
Break off the plasterboard at the back, and then fix the breakfast bar from underneath. Fix the plasterboard back on, then you'll need some support bars at either end; or talk to your local kitchen suppliers, and see what they've got that looks smart. If it's overhanging by 250, and you've got some spare worktop, you could take a 200x300 piece, and cut it corner to corner to make a wooden support for either end of the breakfast bar.

Thanks Doggit.
So are you thinking several normal wood screws vertically up through the top plate of the wall and into the lower edge of the worktop? Would going in at different angles give extra strength (a bit like toe-nailing with nails)?

Sponsored Links
That's a very good idea, but that still wouldn't help support a 250mm overhang, so it becomes a choice of what sort of brackets to support that overhang. You need about 2 thirds of the 250mm as a support, and you'd normally have double that distance for the vertical, so you'd need a bracket 150mmx300mm to support the breakfast bar. Come back with a few options that you can find

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back