Fitting an integral dishwasher - some advice please

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I did try asking this on another helpful forum that I'm a member of, but to date haven't had a reply, so though I would try here too. I'm eager to get this dne as it's the last piece of the puzzle in terms of the kitchen.

I've popped the dishwasher in place and it's working fine, just need to make it look fitted now. Hopefully my description will suffice but if I have to I'll pop a photo up.

I have a horseshoe shaped kitchen, on the right hand upright of the U, there is the sink and worktop, the bottom bar is the dishwasher and oven (the left hand upright is irrelevant, but it's fridge freezer and worktop). I had to put the dishwasher on the bottom bar because the blasted gas meter is to the left of the sink where I wanted to put it.

Anyhoo!

It's plumbed in, has electric supply, but just need to fit it in properly. The dishwasher came from ebay so I don't have fitting instructions but think I can work most of it out just need some advice as to the best way of doing it. I've bought some sticky back silver stuff to pop under the worktop though haven't done it yet as the dishwasher is currenty at its lowest setting. I presume the two screws and 2 adjustable legs at the front are there to lift it flush to the underside of the worktop, thereafter screw through the holes to fix it to the worktop and through the sides to the adjacent units?

The latter part of that paragraph is the bit I've got some difficulty with. The gap is for a 500 door (its a slimlime DW) and the dishwasher it self is something like 46cm across. So how do I pad those gaps out to give me sometihng to screw the DW to. I'm sure there's a straightforward answer (cut a fillet to pad it?)

One side of the gap is the corner post, the other is side of the oven. I can see how I would fix something to the reverse of the corner post (screw straight into the back of it), but can't immediately think of a means of fixing a fillet to the side of the oven. There is some melamine/chipboard to the side of the oven but it's not plainly obvious to me how to fit a fillet at 90 degrees to it (assuming that is how to do it). Maybe a batten to the reverse so it screws to the side of the oven housing and the back of the fillet?

Think that's about it, just wanted to know how you wuld go about it. I'm sure someone has come across this before, or maybe not - maybe my kitchen fitter has left me with a unique problem along with a worktop that itsn't quite level, doors that don't line up and a sink that isn't fitted correctly.

Sponsored Links
I assume the oven sits in an oven housing unit? If it does, then the way to go is to remove the oven from the housing unit, screw your fillet to the housing , them refit the oven. I'm surprised that your kitchen fitter didn't do this (amongst his other mistakes). By the sound of it, your kitchen fitter,,, Isn't a kitchen fitter. ;) ;) ;)

To be fair the dishwasher arrived some time after the kitchen was fitted so he couldn't do it at the time. To be honest though the more I look, the more I see wrong.

Today one of the soft closers got knocked off a door hinge, the hinge itself wasn't screwed to the plate on the corner post. The cooker hood was set to vented mode, not recirculating mode. Just noticed as well that the sink appears to have been shoehorned into too small a cut out, so is bent in one corner (this is the second sink too - somehow a massive dent was knocked into the last one whilst they were messing with the plumbing).

Daft thing is that he came recommended - it would seem that other people have a lower expectations of working standards than I.

I've just had a huge amount of renovations on an auction property that I bought recently and I wouldn't ask one of the trademen back other than the plumber (who is the father in law). I've got a chimney rebuilt with wood in it (yes the combustible kind), carpet fitters that snagged a carpet (fortunately they replaced it without any fuss but it was a pain having to empty the room), had a door frame replaced, but they knocked half a wall down while doing so (that joiner never came back - I didn't even tell him not to; think he realised he'd goofed).

I've given up on the trades now and the daft thing is I didn't want to do that. I'm far more productive doing what I do best and it's not even close to being a tradesman, but I would rather do it and do it right.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back