Breaking up concrete base next to house

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I have this concrete base alongside the house and waht to remove it and pave over the area. It used to have a lean-to greenhouse on it.

It is just under 2 bricks below DPC, is about 4" thick, and only a few mm from the wall of the house. If I use a sledge hammer to break it up, is there any significant risk of damaging the house or its foundations?

Any advice?

Attachments

• 20230814_093703.jpg
    20230814_093703.jpg
    427.3 KB · Views: 47
  • 20230814_093719.jpg
    20230814_093719.jpg
    389.4 KB · Views: 53
Sponsored Links
Unlikely. If you start breaking it furthest from the house, it will probably crack into pieces that you can lever up and carry away without needing to hammer next to the wall. A slab is often thicker round the edges.

Identify the position of all drains and other buried services before you start.

Unlikely. If you start breaking it furthest from the house, it will probably crack into pieces that you can lever up and carry away without needing to hammer next to the wall. A slab is often thicker round the edges.

Identify the position of all drains and other buried services before you start.

Thanks John. I was thinking to do just that and am hoping it will be in removable pieces before I get close to the house. The only drain pipe runs very close around two sides of the pad but is below the bottom of the concrete. By a few inches I'd say to the top of the plastic pipe. As a precaution I could wield the hammer at least a foot inside the concrete area from the edges, starting at the side away from the house?

Sponsored Links
Hit it in the middle

Once you've cracked it with a sledge, use a pick to lever it up, it will probably start cracking into pieces.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back