Breaking up is hard to do - Concrete fence post footings

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I managed, after a lot of sweat and swearing to get three concrete posts out of the ground. They were each embedded into huge lumps of concrete with hard core about 50 years or so ago. I have a trailer, but despite the fact that they do "roll", getting these gigantic balls of concrete in is proving too much for me. A ramp and a winch might work, but they'd also be difficult to remove at the other end. Each probably weighs slightly in excess of 100Kg

Are here any recommendations for cracking these monsters into smaller chunks? Even in half would work. I have tried hitting them with a large chisel and sledgehammer to no avail.

Regards

Tet

PS I have already managed to break off the concrete posts so these are just round(ish) lumps

Sponsored Links
as Freddie says: you need a breaker.

use a point chisel not flat chisel.

unless you use a big powerful breaker, dont try and split in half, nibble away at it

a small breaker would just get the chisel stuck or wouldnt go in

I used one of these to clean off concrete from post while still in the ground, very easy.

Sponsored Links
You could hire a breaker for a day.

I recengly broke up some stuff using a flat chisel attachment in my heavy SDS+ drill. Is is poor quality but was very cheap and came with a heap of attachments. People sneer at it, but I originally bought it before some heavy work, and the Screwfix guarantee meant that if it had broken before I finished, they would have exchanged it or possibly refunded me. I bought an extra big chisel. The huge weight is not a problem when working downwards.

It has paid for itself several times over.

I don't have the use to justify a good one.

Don't forget your ear defenders.

Ear defenders, I said.

EAR DEFENDERS! WHAT'S THE MATTER, ARE YOU....

Oh, sorry.

People sneer at it
But they wouldn't dream of nicking it; handy for site stuff, because the screwfix guarantee only covers thing that you can walk back into store with :)

Side note, my workzone equivalent of that drill has done sterling service over the last 8 years, and still going.. "Buy cheap, replace it with something up the scale if it packs up.." usually works for me

Are here any recommendations for cracking these monsters into smaller chunks?
I'd get a stihl saw out and cut a slot in it to pound a chisel into, but if you don't have a stihl saw it does rather put paid to that approach; they can be hired fairly economically

Last edited:
I used one of these to clean off concrete from post while still in the ground, very easy.
Sold it for £30 less so cost me £30 for a years use .

Think you'll struggle getting it transported . Maybe TNT will deliver it..

Assuming you've guessed the weight right. Could be heavier?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back