Breathable Membrane Detailing

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I need to lay new breathable membrane down.

My neighbours roof adjoins mine and the existing membrane is one piece of fabric stretching the width of the two properties

To lay my new membrane, do I cut a straight line down the party wall, then lap the new membrane over or under the neighbours old membrane?

Do I need to overlap by a certain distance? Is anything else advisable to ensure a leak free job?

Sponsored Links
Sarking should be cut or finished on a rafter and lapped to at least the next rafter.

So you would decide which rafter to cut on, nail or staple it, then cut it. Then lap the new over the existing.

In your case, I'd cut the existing membrane on the second rafter in ie not the one up against the party wall but the next one. And then take your new membrane to the neighbour's rafter nearest the party wall.

Sarking should be cut or finished on a rafter and lapped to at least the next rafter.

So you would decide which rafter to cut on, nail or staple it, then cut it. Then lap the new over the existing.

In your case, I'd cut the existing membrane on the second rafter in ie not the one up against the party wall but the next one. And then take your new membrane to the neighbour's rafter nearest the party wall.
Great, i jumped the gun and cut the existing sarking at the party wall

However, in my defence, I cut the sarking at the party wall because most of the sarking was so weak and torn in too many places. Also, I never saw your message before starting work :giggle:

So is the way forward to take the new membrane over to neighbours rafter past the party wall?

Fix each side into the nearest rafter on each side of the party wall to stop them sagging, then either take you new piece of membrane to the second rafter in on the neighbour's side or fit a cover piece to the second rafter on each side.

Sponsored Links
Fix each side into the nearest rafter on each side of the party wall to stop them sagging, then either take you new piece of membrane to the second rafter in on the neighbour's side or fit a cover piece to the second rafter on each side.
@^woody^ I cut and threw away all of the old sarking on my side of the party wall.

So right now, my roof has zero old sarking.

Unless I have misunderstood you, is my only option either to now

1. Fit the new piece of membrane to the second rafter in on the neighbour's side, then run the membrane along the width of my property

or

2. Fit the new piece of membrane to my rafter nearest the party wall. Then fit a cover piece in on the neighbour's side and then nail this on the rafter on my side of the party wall?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back