Breathable roofing membrane

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We live in a 1960's bungalow that was built on low lying, boggy land, so that we are in a fog/frost pocket that means the humidity in the house can be high. When the weather is very cold we get damp on the underside of the roof felt that wets the tops of the timbers, where they touch the felt, and can drip down onto the loft floor

We have improved the ventilation by vented bricks on the gable ends, vented roof tiles and vented sofit boards, but clearly still not enough. I think that the roof has been replaced at some time, as we seem to have 2 layers of roofing felt, the lower one is torn in places. We are thinking about a new roof and are asking if we should replace all the felt with breathable felt, and is it likely to help in solving the problem?

TIA

Sponsored Links
I have problems with damp and mould, and i'm considering a PIV unit to help improve the air flow around the house.
Perhaps that can help.
I'd certainly replace any roof felt with a breathable membrane. You have several options so look around before choosing.

Sorry, I omitted to add that we fitted a PIV about 3 years ago. It does improve the loft ventilation, as it pulls air down which is replaced from outside. It also has improved the condensation on windows, turn the fan off and you can tell the difference next day. But along with all the other ventilation improvements we have made it has not completely solved the problem

Sponsored Links
Images show the damp on the rafters and the two layers of felt. Please ask if any more images needed. TIA

Attachments

• damp rafters 2.jpg
    damp rafters 2.jpg
    114.9 KB · Views: 151
  • inside loft.jpg
    inside loft.jpg
    116.6 KB · Views: 133
  • thumbnail.jpg
    thumbnail.jpg
    129.8 KB · Views: 135
  • torn inner felt and drips.jpg
    torn inner felt and drips.jpg
    91.2 KB · Views: 148
  • torn lower felt.jpg
    torn lower felt.jpg
    89.6 KB · Views: 139
I see a non breathable felt type 1 f.
You say you have two layers ? Are seeing the second layer through the ripped areas ? They could just be poor repairs .
If the whole roof definately has two layers of felt, then there is no reason not to pull off the old .

I see a non breathable felt type 1 f.
You say you have two layers ? Are seeing the second layer through the ripped areas ? They could just be poor repairs .
If the whole roof definately has two layers of felt, then there is no reason not to pull off the old .

Thanks, there are several areas where it is ripped, with another layer showing above, so I think two layers. Think that I may also try some circular push in soffit vents

Last edited:
Two layers makes no sense . You could be seeing underlay repairs.
If it is definately two layers over the whole roof then it can only make things worse.I have resisted the usual insulation and extractor questions .. there's tons of top advice ref condensation on the site

When the weather is very cold we get damp on the underside of the roof felt that wets the tops of the timbers,
There have been a few recent posts on this, and the answer is that in extremely cold weather condensation will always form on the underside of felt and even on breathable membrane.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back