Breathable sheet material for lime plaster.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Im doing up an old house built in 1928. One attic room needs stripped and insulated, using Pavaflex and keeping all materials breathable for obvious reasons, no ventilated ridge or soffit vents etc.

Can anyone recomend a brathable alternative to normal plasterboard thats used in modern homes? Or is normal plasterboard ok to use?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
I don't understand that.

You say "no ventilated ridge or soffit vents" so the roof area will be prone to condensation, damp and rot; but you want the attic room to breathe so that damp can get out of the room and into the loft space?

I must have misunderstoood you.

The roof is Welsh slate on bitumen felt on sarking board. The house is 80 year old, the felt has broken up due to its age, ive seen this when replacing slates. There is plenty air flow through the roof itself. I was just making the point that the construction is not of ventilated ridge or soffit construction.

Thanks

You will need a 50mm air gap between the sarkin and insulation, ventilation installed at soffit, and also high level at ridge.

You will also either have to use foil backed plasterboard or install a vapour membrane.

Sponsored Links
You will need a 50mm air gap between the sarkin and insulation, ventilation installed at soffit, and also high level at ridge.

You will also either have to use foil backed plasterboard or install a vapour membrane.

No Soffit in this type of roof and why the foil backed plasterboard?

No Soffit in this type of roof

Eh! is it your house? where does he say he has no soffit?

No it's not my house but I'm familiar with the type..

The roof is Welsh slate on bitumen felt on sarking board. The house is 80 year old, the felt has broken up due to its age, ive seen this when replacing slates. There is plenty air flow through the roof itself. I was just making the point that the construction is not of ventilated ridge or soffit construction.

Thanks

Many upto this period didn't have them. So it would make your advise.....

Gents,

Agree with moderator! If anything written is incorrect its my fault. But it is me and still me looking for your advice and comments please.

Thanks

Gents,

Agree with moderator! If anything written is incorrect its my fault. But it is me and still me looking for your advice and comments please.

Thanks

This may be of interest to you..

http://www.greensteps.co.uk/tmp/assets/1163178050906.pdf

Plasterboard is low on the breathability factor and so are most gypsum plasters.

Plasterboard will work.

This old cottage was extended into the roof in 1786. Thatch came off and it was replaced with welsh slate. I had to replace a bedroom ceiling so I insulated with wool then stapled builders paper before plasterboard. I had to replace like for like hence the board and not Lath etc

Much appreciated.

One other thought. The construction of my house is 24" stone, battoned and sheeted with 11mm wood fibre board, this is original stuff, built 1928.

Downstairs was done a bit fancy with cornicing etc, kitchen and bathroom is good Im happy with downstairs, just a bit of paint and wallpaper needed.

Upstairs however was very plain, no deep skirting etc so nothing in the way of character to really keep. Im happy to use an insulation product here on the walls and in the loft.

Would it be daft or cause problems to insulate the walls and roof space upstairs, and under the flooring downstairs but not the walls downstairs?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back