Breather membrane behind cladding

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm in dispute with my builder. He's built me a timer outbuilding where the externals are external OSB with cedar cladding nailed on top. So I looked at his quote and he said he would put breather membrane over the osb and then the cladding on top.

I know that this wasn't done. But is it wrong for me to make an issue from it. I've done some research and it appears the breather membrane protects the ply/osb from rain and water. So does that mean that I may experience dampness when there is heavy rain.

Contractual it's in the quote, would it make me look like an @rse if I made this an issue?

Sponsored Links
Its a crucial part of the construction and should be fitted. It is an issue. Your cladding is just stopping driven rain, the membrane stops moisture entering the OSB.

taz123 - Yes it is, he's ran out of money and cutting corners. It's so stressful.

Sponsored Links
taz123 - He's claiming that I'm being unreasonable and difficult. I just want opinions from other people just to make sure that I'm querying just like anyone else would.

Stop the work until you know exactly where you stand.

The builder sounds a little iffy and if he has cut 1 corner I bet he's cut 2, 3, 4 etc. especially if funds/money is an issue.

As mentioned the membrane is crucial. The cedar cladding is not waterproof and in heavy rain will soak up water and allow it into the OSB which will then fail. The cladding needs to be removed and a suitable breathable membrane fitted (not a plastic sheet).

I note your other thread regarding the joints. 2.5 metres is not a standard size (2.44 and 3.05 are commonly available cedar board lengths), but he could have bought 5m lengths and either cut them down or had the supplier cut them down to save transport costs. Having vertical joints on a single story building is unnecessary and looks cheap. As he agreed to supply whole lengths (verbal or written does not matter), that is what he must supply.

As it appears that your builder is having financial difficulties I would want all of your issues sorted before giving him a single penny more.. Stop him working on anything else for you until they are resolved. If he walks away from the job and on fair assessment you have been left out of pocket then claim for the difference (and any cost of putting right bad work) through the county courts.

Post a photo and tell us what he is charging you.

I've paid alot of money upfront but now I guess we're about level as to the remaining balance and remaining work

Overall, it maybe best quit while you're ahead or even. Alterantively get him to requote on labour only and you stay in charge of materials with him confirming by email what will be needed and when.

The breather is vital element else damp will get through and it will rot. Compared to getting somebody else to fix it it would be worth your while buying it and telling him to make good.

If he wont accept then write him a letter (make copy) stating he is in breach of agreement and he has Xdays (reasonable time 14days?) to make good stating that if he fails to do so he will be pursued for costs incurred of the same.
I presume you have a receipt for payment?
What has happened with skip situ?

We've sent him a letter now on the advice of the citizens advice bureau giving him 7 days to finish the whole job (probably only 3days worth of work left).

As for the skip he's just arguing that he paid for one skip as quoted (but inadequate) and if i want the rest removed I have to hire another one for him, even though he clearly said he would remove all the earth using a skip. It's typical of him as his arguments don't make sense.

Did you send it recorded? Did you keep a copy? IS it really sent? FOr the sake of £30 It may have been more tactical to get the breather membrane issue sorted prior to sending the letter.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back