Breeze Block Shed Damp

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Guys,

We have a single brick breeze block shed on a raised concrete floor. Since day 1 we have problems with damp. We left a cooker in there for storage for around 6 months and it started rusting.

I want to convert it into a workshop/ gym but I need suggestions on how to stop the damp first.

There is no rendering outside and the inside walls haven't been plastered. Is there any recommendations on the best course of action.

Thanks in advance

Sponsored Links
It's condensation related. There are lots of threads about damp sheds.

Basically, it's because it's not heated.

Whats the best way to treat it, I will have electrics installed once I get it plastered inside so I will have a electric heater on when Im in there.

My neighbour has something similar, but he keeps it on a low heat when he's not using it. When he only heated it when he used it there was a bit of a damp problem.

Sponsored Links
Whats the best way to treat it, I will have electrics installed once I get it plastered inside so I will have a electric heater on when Im in there.
Best way is to keep it a few degrees warmer than outside all the time.
If you don't have any insulation it may be more economical to run a dehumidifier instead, make sure it's the electric desiccant type as they work in low temperature.
If you wanted to be really clever you could have some kind of predictive humidistat to make sure it's warmer than the dew point will be for the next 24h, but that's getting a bit too fancy!

Out of interest does it have a metal roof? I have an outbuilding which suffers from alot of condensation. I have been adviced to stick sheet foam to the inside of the roofing sheets which will insulate it enough to stop the moisture. Only problem I can see is the contact adhesive doesnt like foam so maybe a shed load of no more nails might do the trick and some wooden props whilst it sets.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back