Making old garage watertight

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My garage (an old livestock shed) is about 30 years old. Two exterior walls are single brick, rendered and whitewashed on the outside, bare brick inside. Roof is great - not a drip comes through. Floor is concrete. Door is brand new, up-and-over, watertight.

Remaining wall is breeze blocks that have just been whitewashed - no render or other covering inside or out.

Problem is, inside there's damp patches on the floor all around the edge at the bottom of each wall. In heavy rain, shallow puddles form.

I'd like to convert it into a gym/workshop.

Is there an easy way to waterproof the brick/floor inside? Some sort of paint? Should I render the breeze blocks inside and out too?

Scratching my head on this one. Any help much appreciated.

Sponsored Links
I think the most effective option would be to install adequate drainage on the outside of the walls. Does water pool up against the building when it rains?

Not really any 'pooling' around it - although there is a small raised bank of earth (an old veg plot I think) on the back wall which I was going to remove, leaving the wall clear...good idea?

Sponsored Links
Def a good Idea to remove the earth. If you cannot stop the mositure penetrating at source next best thing is to repel it.
Water resistant soloutions can be painted on the breese blocks and main external wall.
Pitch black a liquid bitumen is good if painted on blocks but you will still need somewhere for the retained water to exit poss via drain holes.
Pete

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back