Damp garage

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I have a single garage in the back garden and it gets rally damp inside when it rains heavily to the point that puddles appear at one end. I have recently replaced the roof which was also leaking, that is now fixed which has helped matters. The garage is a breaze block construction and one side is painted with a cheap exterior paint. When it does rain hard the inside of the walls are damp to the touch, presumably rain is coming through the walls and running down to the floor and pooling.

So, my question is, can i just paint the outside of the garage with a 'Weathershield' type paint to prevent the pools of water ? I'm not neccesarily concerned with the garage being bone dry but puddles of water on the floor aren't good for the car / tools etc

Cheers
Alistair

Sponsored Links
Hi

you first need to find out what the problem is, just painting a substance on will not cure the problem. If the blocks are pourous then eventually you will need to replace them. It could be the mortar failing, so you will need to repoint, this is especially apparent on north and wets facing walls. Where are your puddles forming?

ian

Many thanks for the reply. The garage has two exposed wall, a long one (painted with cheap exterior paint) and a short one unpainted. The water pools inside at the bottom of the unpainted wall, the inside of the painted wall is also damp.

I guess this may be a coincidence and the water may just pool there because of the garage construction. The garage floor seems pretty level.

Thanks for any advice
Cheers
Alistair

Sponsored Links
i take it the roof/eaves are ok.
if the whole of the wall is damp the blocks may have failed, unusual for them all to have done so. is the pointing ok. which way does the unpainted wall face?
just painting it will not have much of an effect i'm afraid so you need to find the problem.
have a look at the pointing/roof and let me know.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back