Damp/wet garage floor

TJR

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've recently moved house, and I'm trying to solve an issue with the single skin double garage.

The garage backs onto my garden, which is a lot higher than the garage and retained by a vertical row of sleepers. The side of the garage is also positioned close to a stone boundary wall. There is a buildup of rubbish (mainly old leaves etc) between the sleepers and the back wall, and also between the side wall and the boundary wall. However this does not look to be higher than the damp course, but I would say higher than the internal floor of the garage. It is however almost impossible to get in to remove this soil etc as the gaps are only a few inches...

After a fair amount of rain, water gets in through the rear and side walls of the garage, causing the floor to be damp/wet. It looks like someone has painted the damp course layer bricks with bitumen paint to try to solve this issue.

There is visible water pooling behind the garage between the wall and sleepers.

Click link for photos here of the garage:

https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=0B2MRNVmug-f9R1FpdkQ1T2dLUnc&usp=sharing

I can't see there is really much I can do externally - digging out the garden and removing the sleepers is not really an option (besides this would not solve the issue along the side of the garage).

One plan I have so far is to try some tanking slurry inside upto the damp course level. Other than that does anyone have any other ideas? :confused:

Sponsored Links
The renders (Vandex) are OK but they won't cope with much pressure and if too much will just blow off, so are a bit of a gamble. What's your budget, £100, £1000 or whatever it takes?

Thanks for the reply.

Probably willing to spend upto around £100-£150 or so - was looking at the KA tanking slurry and fillet seal to go between the wall and floor.

Sponsored Links
Yup think it's worth giving it a try, if it fails then try something else!

I assume i'd have to remove the bitumen paint before using the tanking slurry. Any advise on the best way to do this - mechanically or chemically?

Cheers....

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back