bressumer/lintel

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The render above the front window is also partially
defective and the cracks should be raked out and filled prior to appropriate redecoration.
There appears to have been some movement at this point which should be monitored for
any further deterioration and water penetration should be prevented and if possible the
bressumer/lintel at this point should be examined before the render is replaced Hi everyone this is my first post...I am popping my toe in to buying an 1880 miners cottage in Wales ...and the above information if part of the report from the surveyor...

My question is what is a bressumer/lintel and is it expensive to replace , does it present as a warning sign of hidden problems...
Thank you everyone

Sponsored Links
If your post was written as below, it might have been easier to follow:

Hi everyone this is my first post...I am popping my toe in to buying an 1880 miners cottage in Wales ...and the information below is part of the report from the surveyor...

'The render above the front window is also partially defective and the cracks should be raked out and filled prior to appropriate redecoration.
There appears to have been some movement at this point which should be monitored for any further deterioration and water penetration should be prevented and if possible the bressumer/lintel at this point should be examined before the render is replaced.'

My question is what is a bressumer/lintel and is it expensive to replace , does it present as a warning sign of hidden problems...
Thank you everyone.

Now to your question; a bressumer/lintel is simply a beam. No-one can say whether or not it is a serious problem, or how much it would cost to replace, unless they could see it. Some pics here would help a little.

Bressumer beam is usually a place specific term ie. over the opening where a bay has been built out. Any beam over a typical window opening is usually referred to as a lintel.

In an 1880 cottage the Bressumer beam will be a timber lintel, and the supporting ends might be decaying due to penetrating water damage.
Interior plaster would have to be removed to confirm rotting bearing ends.
Given the report, & the age of the cottage, i would guess that you will have water penetration problems.

The extent of any difficulties could best be judged when the render is removed.
Any lintel replacement would then take place with any other remedial repairs.

Sponsored Links
You've posted a pic of the rendered exterior - a Bressumer beam would be on the interior. What is supporting above that window opening is a lintel - perhaps a failing lintel, hence the cracks.

Why not post pics of the interior, and a pic of the whole window frame?

Hi , I currently don't have interior shot's of the house...

I also wanted to know if it is possible to render over render.to make the house more attractive?.. Also is it expensive to hack of the existing render...
The two main chimney stacks remain being brick built possibly with lead of some age.
The
rear chimney stack has been reduced below roof level but the external render requires to
be hacked off and reinstated where it is defective. There is a ventilator for the flue (this
serves the gas fire in the kitchen

Also is it possible to internalise the down pipes ?
Thank you for your advice

Generally not ideal to render over render - the old rendering may be detached in places underneath, and the new render may well tighten up and pull on any weak spots, causing further damage. If you're going to render - rather than just repair and repaint - take the whole lot off and start again. If it's worth doing, it's worth doing properly.

Why put the pipes inside? It causes potential weathering problems (eg where the S&VP comes through the roof) and disrupts fittings and furnishings inside.
Granted it may not look attractive to some, but it's functional and it's on the back, so why worry........?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back