Brick bbq question

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello

I am having a bbq built in the garden. It will be made of bricks. At about half height there is a base (not sure this is the right word, just to clarify this is not the base of the structure), on top of which we will put the charcoal and then the actual grill. Please see picture for reference.

We will use fire bricks to line up that base and the inner walls around it (rest of the structure is normal bricks).

The question is, what material should be used for the base itself? Can I use some standard concrete lintels, and put the fire bricks directly on top of them (applied with outdoors oven cement)? I don't think concrete lintels are good with fire but with fire bricks on top they may be OK? Please note:

- burning charcoal will be laid directly on the fire bricks.
- the fire bricks are 32mm thick.

Attachments

• IMG-20220209-WA0005.jpg
    IMG-20220209-WA0005.jpg
    229.6 KB · Views: 64
Sponsored Links
The heat will transfer through the fire brick splits and the lintels will heat up but probably not enough to cause you too many problems.

One issue you may encounter using concrete is the expansion and contraction of heating and cooling during use.

You could line lintels first with RCF (refractory ceramic fiber) paper of about 3mm or so and this will stop the heat transfer.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back