Brick Laying - Help Required

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hopefully someone can help me - I have been volunteered to build a brick BBQ next bank holiday weekend :(

The BBQ required is 12 brick layers high and each layer consists of 9 bricks laid in a U-shape. The bricks and mortar have been purchased and all I have to do is build it!!! Can someone please advise:

* What foundations will be required? It has been suggested that a couple of paving stones are laid on the grass and the bricks are laid on top of these. Will this be strong enough or should I compact the soil under the paving stones or even put some hardcore down?

* I have never laid bricks before, does any one have any tips or details of "an idiots guide to bricklaying"?

* What is the best method of cutting bricks? I have a hammer and bolster chisel but dont really want to go to the expense of purchasing an angle grinder, etc.

Any help will be much appreciated :)

Sponsored Links
Davey said:
What foundations will be required? It has been suggested that a couple of paving stones are laid on the grass and the bricks are laid on top of these. Will this be strong enough or should I compact the soil under the paving stones or even put some hardcore down?
Not really, best to have a concrete base approx 75mm thickness using a strong ratio mix 3:1 sand/cement. You could make a frame using 75mm x 50mm timber.

I have never laid bricks before, does any one have any tips or details of "an idiots guide to bricklaying"?
Just take your time, as it's your first time you could nail a string line onto the timber base to form a square to help you then starting with 10mm cement joint and work your way up and keep checking with a level. The most important is the cement is not too running. The secret is to form a the cement like a sausage when using the trowel as you lay it, then make a V shape with the trowel to allow the brick tamper down slightly if needed. Before the cement joint harden, smooth it with a small length of garden hose. You can also make a wooden gauge marking, 1 line at 75mm and 85mm,150mm,160mm and so on. This so you know the correct height of the brick (This is only if you're using common brick standard size). FISCO do measurement tape for bricklaying if you don't mind paying out. I will say it's not easy but take your time and enjoy it ! You can even enroll for bricklaying courses at nightschool if you're interest (good fun!)

What is the best method of cutting bricks? I have a hammer and bolster chisel but dont really want to go to the expense of purchasing an angle grinder
We never use a angle grinder unless you're using engineer brick or garden wall brick type which have stones in it.

Thanks for your help Masona.

What is the best way to cut bricks then - hit them with a bolster chisel?

I suspect there will be a lot of hard graft involved before we can get the steaks cooking :(

What kind of hammer are you going to use? You'll need a club hammer with a bit of weight to it. Dont try to cut it without marking each face and I don't mean with pencil. Mark using the hammer and chisel making a shallow groove all round so when it breaks it will break along the marked grooves.
The final blows will be on the top face or bottom face not the sides.
Another thing lay out the bottom course of bricks as a dry run leaving 10mm for mortar and mark the foundation.
It should be easy to lay the two corner bricks making sure each is level in both directions and level with each other, The sercet is not too much or too little mortar, you don't want it squeezing out of the joints. constant use of straight edge and level tapping bricks lightly to correct position. Leave the course to dry a little while you point the joints on the previous course.
You'll need some plasticiser to add to your mortar, it makes it easier to work with.
I trust your bolster chisel has got a rubber guard on it, because you'll need one believe me. when you miss the chisel head you'll find it don't miss your thumb.
Good Luck
:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Sponsored Links
Took a little longer than expected but BBQ is now complete - thanks for your help guys.

Off to Tesco for the sausages and burgers now - just hope the weather stays nice this weekend :D

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back