Brick Match - Any Ideas?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I'm getting some pointing done soon and I'd like to replace some bricks where a door was bricked up and the brick match used is a completely different colour.

Has anybody got any idea what this brick is called or how I would describe it.

If it helps the house is about 60 years old in Lancashire.

DSC05034.jpg

Thanks,
Danny

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the reply. Has anybody got any idea how I would get a close match on the mortar?

Thanks,
Danny

Matching mortar is not always that easy. There are 2 main methods.
1. Get the mortar analysed and then make the same mix with the original sand etc, and then wait years for it to weather in
2. Make the colour close to the original by using darker sands mixed in, or mortar dyes. It will change colour in time though.

Sponsored Links
Here's another pic, I'm getting that whole wall pointed (and a better brick match where that door was bricked) but also a little bit round the front which you can just see in the picture.

DSC05096.jpg

Does this look like a lime based or cement based mortar? What type of place would I get the morat analysed, would it be a builders yard or something similar?

Thanks,
Dan

Google mortar analysis, but I wouldn't bother if you are doing the whole wall. I would try a 1/1/6 mix with some black dye to tone it down a bit.

Matching existing mortar is very much trial and error.
The use of different sands and white and grey cements will give you most of the standard mortar tones/colours. I would not go down the road of adding pigments to the mixes, it can be a difficult process matching up using pigments and some do bleed and can leave quite a mess!

Get in touch with a brick supplier, such as Ibstock or Hanson, they can offer a matching service to their current stock of bricks. More than likely the brick you have is some sort of multi blend that has probably been discontinued.

Quite often they will send the rep for the region, they usually have a good idea what was used in the area during that time and can offer some good advice regarding mortar matching.

You may also find a 'brick geek' at your local builders merchants or established builders in your locality.

Also, measure 10 courses of bricks and get the average brick size, if you are on an 80mm brick it's going to narrow down your options considerably.

Hi Dan,
One problem I've had many times with jobs like this, is numbers. You can call all over to try and find a match, but the first question you get is, 'how many do you want?' and you say, a hundred. Oh they say. :cry:

Re the mortar though, it is most definitely a cement based one, so matching it shouldn't be difficult. Nearly everyone uses a 'standard mix', like Stuart said above a 1:1:6 or appx 1:5 cement and sand should be close enough. Unfortunately, people rarely 'guage' mortar constituents so it can vary from 1:4 up to 1:8 depending on who is driving the shovel :eek:.
Sure it will look new for a while because it is. It'll soon calm down to a more acceptable greyish tone.

Re: repointing the whole wall, does it actually need re-pointing? or is it an (expensive!) attempt to blend it all in over the doorway?

p.s At the risk of being absolutely cheeky, you could always grow something up the wall........ :oops:

I would not go down the road of adding pigments to the mixes, it can be a difficult process matching up using pigments and some do bleed and can leave quite a mess!
You must have had some poor quality materials.
I've been matching mortars for over 40 years with different sands and dyes, and never had any problems with them like that.
The main issue with them is that they fade, so it's best to have it a bit darker to begin with. Mortar a bit darker than the original tends to stand out less than if it's lighter as well.

If your having the entire wall re-pointed, what is it going to match? I assume it's to match the other walls that are not going to be re-pointed then ?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back