Brick Matching - Bricks from the 1880s

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

Hoping someone can help as had no luck through other sources.

I am hoping to replace some eroded bricks from my house which was built in the 1880s. There appears to be some fluctuation in the size of the bricks but most are approx 22.5cm wide, 6.5 cm tall and 10.5cm deep. I do know they were originally made by the (long defunct) "South Western Pottery Terracotta and Brickworks" located in Poole, Dorset.

I have attached some photos in the hope that someone will be able to suggest a close match.

Thanks!

DSC_0315.JPG
DSC_0322.JPG
DSC_0323.JPG
DSC_0324.JPG
DSC_0323.JPG

Attachments

• DSC_0314.JPG
    DSC_0314.JPG
    100.1 KB · Views: 119
  • DSC_0316.JPG
    DSC_0316.JPG
    165 KB · Views: 123
  • DSC_0321.JPG
    DSC_0321.JPG
    146.3 KB · Views: 133
Sponsored Links
Thanks for your kind reply Woody. Yes, they are not far off but I was hoping for a more "rustic" looking brick to fit in with the character of the house. That said that kind of brick may not exist!

My grandfather had this problem once; matching some old odly-shaped bricks. So he cast his own to match, using dyed cement.

Sponsored Links
Thanks Gerrydelasel. Might be a last resort if I don't have any luck elsewhere!

I doubt you will find a modern match, even those still making imperial sizes, especially for the special shaped bricks. Probably architectural salvage yards or a bespoke brick maker who can match old historic bricks. Either way not cheap.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back