brick planter being built against house wall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I am planning on building 2 brick planters against my house wall for grow some climbing plants onto the house wall at the back. I cant crack the ground because it has been cemented very deep, which makes a perfect stable base for the intended brick planters.

Approx size 1: 2 bricks deep X 4 brick wide X 8 bricks tall.
Approx size 2: 2 bricks deep X 7 bricks wide X 8 bricks tall.
Note: I plan to line the entire inside of the planters with the material used in ponds as I have lots left over.

Questions:
1) Do I need to put a layer of damp proofing where it touches the house wall?
2) What would I need to fix bricks into house wall. Is it a wall tie, the ones with the screw on one end and hook for the brick on the other? What is it called?

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
No need for additional dpm if you are using a pond liner, though i would ensure that the liner extends a couple of courses above the soil level.

Use s.s. angled frame ties for the wall connection. Fish tail screw in jobbies are awkward as they require revolving to screw 'em in.

Don't forget though, having a watered planter directly against the wall could have consequences regards condensation issues on the internal wall, depending how your walls are built and insulated.

Hi,

Thanks for the info below.

As for the wall, there is no cavity or insulation in the wall itself.
Will this be worse for my brick planter idea? Anything else preventive I can do? Example, put a layer of insulation (suggestion for this welcome) between the pond liner against the house wall itself?

As for the wall, there is no cavity or insulation in the wall itself.
Will this be worse for my brick planter idea? Anything else preventive I can do? Example, put a layer of insulation (suggestion for this welcome) between the pond liner against the house wall itself?

Yes.

House wall - insulation - pond liner.

Sponsored Links
Thanks again!

As for the material, which of these would you suggest:
Klima Polystyrene Insulation Boards: http://www.screwfix.com/p/klima-polystyrene-insulation-boards-pack-of-8/75113#

Damp Proof Course: http://www.screwfix.com/p/damp-proof-course-450mm-x-30m/55072

Loft Insulation material: http://www.screwfix.com/p/thermawrap-loft-insulation-600mm-x-7-5m/29949
As I dont want the insulation material to be excessively/unncessarily thick as that will loose soil room for no reason, but still something that will do the job (prevent damp coming in).

BTW: I am also painting the entire back wall with Thompsons (one-coat) water repellant.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back