Best tool(s) to demolish a brick planter close to house.

When talking about using a hammer & chisel, something that other posters have probably taken for granted but not spelt out is that the mortar holding bricks together is quite a bit softer than the bricks. So you use a club hammer and a cold chisel (or a bolster) and break the mortar not the bricks.

I recently found (yet another) load of bricks buried in my garden. Most were single bricks, or broken bricks, but there were two or three larger sections. They were two or three bricks per layer and three or four layers deep. I used a club hammer and cold chisel and broke each section up in minute or two.

When doing that you must wear eye-protection as chips will come off.

Have you any advice for killing the roots stone dead so they don't end up regrowing and pushing up the patio slabs?

You can get capsules of concentrated glyphosate that you place and then hammer into pre-drilled holes and I believe these work. One of my neighbours has treated some holly / laurel stumps with this and they have not re-sprouted. Normally glyphosate is only taken up by the leaves and translocated throughout the plant, including the roots. In this method however I think the glyphosate has lots of contact with the wood and dissolves in the remaining sap and so spreads, thus it needs to be done soon after the tree is cut down.

However, killing a tree does not mean you can easily pull it up any time soon as the roots are still there. I cut down and killed some ash trees that were c. 6" in diameter and it was c. 7 years before all the roots had rotted away and I could just take the stumps away. Obviously I could have dug them out sooner but it still would have been years not months.

Sponsored Links
Also, if you decide to kill the tree by poison or cutting it down, leave a big chunk of the trunk alone. This provides leverage to help pull the roots out. If you cut it to ground level, you are kneeling to try to grip the roots. With 3-4 feet of trunk left, your effort is much less and a lot more comfortable

Tiger is spot on, learnt that the hard way. Also a pick axe is way better than a spade or fork for trees, as the roots don't impede it as much and you can get a good swing on it! And it's good for lever the roots.
Might also make short work of the brickwork if you're not careful!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back