subsiding brick porch

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a subsiding brick porch 1.5mts out by 3mts wide .. built 30yrs ago; one side is moving (more than the other side) away from the house. I suspect the builder either didnt give enough foundation or drainage (downpipe straight into the ground by the porch wall) .. or possibly the row of large leylandii conifers (30ft from house) have sucked water from the area having grown too big.
What ive done; As the ground around the house is always wet Ive diverted the water away from the house walls .. also have reduced the height of the trees by about a third to 25ft not wanting to cause heave.
Can anyone advise for such a small porch, assuming the footing was good enough at the time, can I dig along the 1.5mts wall to inspect the footing looking for a cavity (also assess soil moisture) .. and then if a cavity found fill with concrete and some steel rods ... or cut the trees by a further 50% for the gound to maybe bounce back?

many thanks for advice

Read more: //www.diynot.com/forums/diy-disasters/brick-porch-underpinning.347467/#2602681#ixzz2Ee8Ks7gp

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back