Demolishing a solid cupboard

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I want to demolish this cupboard in a bedroom. The wall at the back is a party wall. It was used to house a hot water tank. The construction sounds very solid but not made of brick (from what I can see) so not sure what it's made of - Concrete? I think the house was built in 1970.

Is it possible that it could be load bearing?

What's the normal procedure to dismantle something like this? There's plently of advice and videos of walls but not a solid cupboard. Do I simply buy a lump hammer and then chip away when I get close to the walls?

Thanks very much and hope you can help.

Sponsored Links
You need to go up in the loft (or lift the floorboards in the room above) and see where the joists run.

If the joists run across the wall - especially if they join over the wall - then it's probably load-bearing. It might also be supporting your cold water tank if you have one. Tanks are seriously heavy and if it's over the wall may need to be resited or the joists strengthed.

You need to prop the ceiling up and start demolishing the wall from the top.

It's usually only a few hundred quid for a builder to knock something like that out.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back