Is it load-bearing?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all - new here, but semi-experienced DIY'er.

I'm planning on building an L-shaped bathroom on the first floor of my Victorian semi in exactly the same format as the image attached. The foot of the 'L' will extend into what is now a cupboard in the master bedroom.

However, to do so, I will need to demolish the relevant portion of wall in what is currently bedroom 2, and this is where I'm getting a bit stuck.

The roof is an up and over design, and beams in the attic run at right angles to this wall I am partially demolishing. Obviously these beams are supported on the front and rear external walls of the house, but currently they also rest on this internal wall.

Does this make it load bearing, and therefore, will I need to insert a lintel

Would you advise me getting an engineer to have a look?

Any advice gratefully received.

Cheers,

David

Sponsored Links
i'd always get a professional opinion when removing a wall that isn't a stud partition. Costs less than someones funeral.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the input guys - got a builder coming round in a couple of days to give me an opinion. It all looks relatively straightforward though, so here's hoping...

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back