Load bearing wall?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
I would like to knock through dining room/front room in victorian semi but not sure if load bearing. Thought it was lb as it is continuous- there is a wall directly above in the bedroom but looking at the joists in the bedroom above, which run parallel to the wall, suggests it isn't? Plan on getting SE when possible but would appreciate advice/ opinion?

Picture is from bedroom above

Thanks!

Attachments

• 20180704_123016.jpg
    20180704_123016.jpg
    175.9 KB · Views: 202
Sponsored Links
A. Have you looked on the other side (as the joists often run the opposite way in the other room)?

B. Have you looked in the loft to see what's on it?

A. The joists in the room on the other side run the same way (parallel to the wall).
B. The wall ends at the top of the bedroom. In the loft the joists run across the wall. Is this what you mean?

Yes. So it is load bearing but not carrying any load from the first floors so at least what you will need in terms of steel will be a bit less.

Sponsored Links
Well that sounds like good news. Would I still need a steel then or could concrete lintel be enough- builder who just came to quote thought non lb and proposed lintel...Should I still get SE do you think and do I need to notify building control?

Yes you need to notify building control. Probably don't need an SE- looks like a conventional job, most building inspectors will be happy with a catalogue from a lintel company with the one you are going to use circled in red pen. If you/builder want to use a length of RSJ then you would probably need an SE.
At that length, concrete lintel will be very heavy- plenty of steel prefab lintels would do the job and be cheaper than SE and RSJ and easier to handle than concrete.

Thank you that sounds a good plan. So a steel prefab lintel rather than concrete or SE & RSJ.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back