2nd floor non load bearing wall?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I would like to knock the bathroom and WC into one room, it is in the second floor of a 1930 semi. The wall does not goto the ground floor. Does this mean it's not load bearing? The bedroom walls in the middle of the house go through to the ground floor and are load bearing.

Sponsored Links
Yes check if the ceiling joists are separated over the wall or any struts or posts from the roof. We have a wall built on the floor boards upstairs that's supporting the ceiling joists and half the roof, so anything is possible in that age of house!

Hi in the loft there are no struts or posts from the roof. The ceiling joists run perpendicular to the wall. The wall is light block work. The door frames run up to the joists I've attached a couple of images

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    67.6 KB · Views: 193
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    96.2 KB · Views: 200
Sponsored Links
Looks as though you've just answered you'r own questions. Best of luck with the project.

But you've taken the wall out, so you must have felt that everything was stable, so why what's now made you worried.

So the ceiling joists are perpendicular to the wall you've taken out. What is the span of the ceiling joists. Do they go from one side of the house to the other. Are they being supported on another wall somewhere. If everything is fine, and the wall you've taken out wasn't supporting the joists, then you can take out the door frame from the sides of the wall.

Can you take a few pictures from up in the loft.

Hi,

Thanks for the reply, I've not taken the whole wall out just the part above the door frame. The door frame extends up under two of the joists. That's what freaked me out a bit. My friend who does lots of building has looked and said its fine, but I'm new to this! The joists go from back to front of house they are supported on this span by a wall that goes through to the ground floor. The span after this point is probably around 4 meters. I'll take a picture in the loft next time I'm there.

Thanks

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back