Brick sewer vent?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Strange one this - our house, built in the 1930's, was heavily extended in the 80s, which means the soil pipe goes right through the middle of the house and vents in the loft, with no filter on (although that's something I plan on sorting at some point - it currently doesn't cause any issues.)

Anyway, down the bottom of the driveway, near the manhole for the drains, is a small brick box, about 500mm high, with air bricks in it. I've always assumed it connects to the sewer pipe. Recently we've started getting a nasty smell from there.

So, why the sudden smell? And could we get rid of the brick thing all together?

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Common fitment of that era, the vent will connect to the manhole just inside the property, (probably quite close to the vent). Idea was that as air passed over the roof vent it would draw air into the ground level vent and thus ventilate the system.

However, the flaps in these lower vents often stick open, hence you can smell the drains. As DIA says, check the manhole. It is likely it will have an interceptor (trap) on the outlet. These are renowned for blocking, but as they have a rodding eye fitted above to enable access to the pipe beyond the trap to the main sewer, the effluent initially escapes via the rodding eye. Eventually solid matter builds up blocking the system entirely.

So the smell probably means you have a blockage, (needs checking out) and I dont see why you cant get rid of the vent. I would be inclined to extend the stack to vent through the roof though asap.

Find a local drainage company to come out on a fixed price to jet out the manhole and drain/sewer pipes.

That should sort it out.

(have you lifted/looked into your manhole?........it's probably full of carp) :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

Andy

Sponsored Links
DIA will probably tell you that the rodding eye had a plug which usually fell out and partially blocked the running trap.

Usually by now the plug has been thrown away so the rodding eye acts as an overflow when the running trap blocks.

Tony

DIA will probably tell you that the rodding eye had a plug which usually fell out and partially blocked the running trap.

Usually by now the plug has been thrown away so the rodding eye acts as an overflow when the running trap blocks.

Tony

The first plumber down the hole trying to find the plug when it's full of crap will make sure it gets lost Tony. :evil:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back