BRICKED UP FIRE

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

New to this, literally.... I am seeking some lucid advice, as planning application has been semi refused due to a bricked up fire opening.

I want to install a wood burner in the back ground floor flat bedroom of a 1920//30 ish built house, converted into flats during 1978.

The flat above me has a bricked up fire opening in their bedroom, with a vent near the ceiling. The chimney breast depth is roughly 29 cms, where as my chimney breast depth measures 25cms and has no air vent, removed i am guessing.

The Local Authority surveyor came round tapped on the wall, heard no hollow, and said it is not possible to install a stove. His reason, because the opening has been bricked up reopening it is a structual change that will open a can of worms and needs building regs. app

Due to the depth of my chimney breast might there have never been a fireplace there to begin with or is the surveyor just fobbing me off, because that is how it felt!!!!!

I am going to appeal their decision, PLEASE HELP, ANY SUGGESTIONS WOULD BE GREAT

Jay

Sponsored Links
It's hard to understand exactly what the problem is, but have you checked if there is a hearth in the timber floor structure?

If the opening has been bricked up, it's unlikely they would have removed the original lintel, even if it was just a flat steel bar, so unbricking it shouldn't be a problem. You would need to hack off some plaster to investigate.

The chimney breast thickness difference may be due to a thicker wall construction on the ground floor.

Where do you anticipate running the flue pipe? Is the chimney clear?

Have you considered installing an open fireplace, as original?

Do you understand all the building regs pertaining to stoves, flues and fire protection?

I think if you deal with all of the above you might be in a position to either try again for planning, or at least discuss more thoroughly with the planning advisor, or maybe you'll decide it's not worth it. Good luck.

Regsmyth

Your advise was very helpful, i have a better understanding now.

I am on ground floor, so there is no timber floor structure, its concrete

I am planning to line the chimney, i am not sure whether it has been back filled with rubble, but i have anticipated the need to clear it if it has been.

I have another Surveyor, Private Sector this time not Local Authority, coming to assess next week.

Thanks again

Jay

What does the freeholder of the flats think of your plan :idea:

Sponsored Links
Nige f

Hey, It gets complicated....

The property freeholders are a Housing Association. It was their Surveyor who said No, and they have told me i am not able to contest their decision because they are the freeholders...

I am not sure whether to get a second opinion from a different surveyor as having spoken to the team, most planning applications are initially refused...

Is this a truth, for anyone out there who has been through the process

I don`t know a lot about planning process - but the issue is with a flue that runs through the other flats in the fabric of the building ( owned by the freeholder)So on a practical level it`s a non starter , due to the risk from a solid fuel appliance - lined flue or not . The freeholder has the last say .

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back