Blocking up fireplace for Electric Fire.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

We have a 1950's build house with a chimney breast on an internal wall.
Originally this was an open fire place and had then been replaced with a gas fire

The gas fire is no longer around and the gas supply has been cut of, by a corgi registered guy, leaving us with a open fire place (essentialy a large hole leading up to the chimney).
We would like to brick this up and install an electric fire in its place.

The chimney already has a cowl fitted to it.

My question is that I understand that when bricking the fireplace up I should install an air brick. However this air brick would then be covered by the electric fire. Would this then make this worthless?? Should I be doing something else??

All help is appreciated.

Sponsored Links
hi, you may need to vent in a restricted area i.e. in the fire whole its self, so that being said and you must also follow the fitting instructions that come with the electric fire like not having any combustible material within a set distance, you minght explore fixing the electric fire off the wall on brackets foe example, but please bare in mind the health and safety requirements, hope this minght help, ps most certainly do ventilate and make sure the cowl is appropriate and the electric fire should be your secondary consideration,cheers.

Hi,

I have a similar problem to you in that I am looking to brick up the fireplace and install a Ferndown fire surround flush against the wall.

My question to you is what did you do with the venting problem and what sort of fire did you choose ?

I eagerly await your reply.

Many thanks

Chris

Sponsored Links
ChrisLea, its doubtful if the original OP is still with us from a dated question.

Before bricking up, have your flue (and flues) swept, and check that a suitable terminal on the stack is in position to allow thro ventilation.

If you have a suspended floor then you can vent from below the floor.

Or if you have a chimney breast then you can vent the flue from one of the side cheeks of the c/breast.

Depending on how you fit the surround, you could pull it off the wall a little and allow an air flow to a vent behind the fixture.

Given that Ferndown must have encountered this dilemma before perhaps they will have suggestions.

Hey Ree,

Now I see your post.

Accessing the chimney breast from the side seems like a good option but I am worried about depth to the open fireplace.

The chimney doglegs to the left further up the c/breast so this would allow easier access.

I'll let you know.

Cheers

Chris

You posted on 11/7 @ 21:33

ree replied at 22:17.

And at 23:06 you wrote "Hey Ree, Now I see your post."

I couldn't see it before because are 2 topicz that we are both writing on.
I'm lost.

If you couldn't see it before, how did you know it was there but invisible to you?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back