Bricking up an internal doorway

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I need a solution to this building problem

I have a doorway between two semi-detached properties that I want to remove a replace with brickwork. The dividing walls are 2 bricks deep (no cavity).
The original brickwork on one side of the property was removed to the width of approximately 2 standard doors, thus allowing the door to fit into the recess when opened. The other side of the property, just one width for the door itself. The existing recess was finished off with a coat of plaster.
Obviously, I need to be able to “key” the new brickwork to the remaining structure on both sides.
I feel that just building a wall of bricks within the recessed area, for example, would not be sufficient to firmly bind the new and old brickwork together. I could remove the plaster from the recess perhaps, or is there some sort of metal framework I could drill/attach to the existing (recess) wall and concrete floor to support the new brickwork structure? What would this be called?

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back