bricklaying - is my bricklayer capable?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Dear All - I am seeking your advice in regards the competencies of a bricklayer who has just started a job for me. The job involves the construction of a 1.2m high brick wall for which i have a few concerns about the quality of his blockwork beneath ground. I have attached an image which shows the main concern - that he has not buttered the sides of the blockwork with mortar resulting in the bottom course of blockwork not being bonded to the blockwork beside them - it is only bonded to the blockwork above and beneath.

My question is whether this (no doubt for the purposes of saving time and materials) is likely to affect the structural integrity of the finished wall and make it more prone to movement.

All knowledgable responses appreciated.

Sponsored Links
They look like drainage points to me. Is that earth against the wall?

Sponsored Links
Almost certainly weep/drainage holes and should not affect the stability of the wall.

When the soil behind the wall gets wet it exerts extra force, drainage is needed in order to stop your wall failing.

It might be a good idea for you to fill in behind the wall with pea gravel to prevent your drainage getting blocked.

My question is whether this (no doubt for the purposes of saving time and materials) is likely to affect the structural integrity of the finished wall and make it more prone to movement

You know.. you could have just asked the guy (and kept your initial assumptions to yourself until the answer was delivered)..

Saving time? Takes about 5 seconds for an experienced brickie to butter a block.
Saving materials? I estimate that the negligible amount of mortar in a buttered edge is worth about 5p
Poor structural integrity? Walls get most of their integrity from the staggering of the bricks not the perpendicular mortaring

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back